The George Inn
High Street, Robertsbridge, Battle, TN32 5AW,
England, United Kingdom
John and Jane swapped corporate life in 2006 for this handsome old inn in pretty Robertsbridge, and haven't looked back. Working tirelessly, they have restored its fortunes: as both an inn and a community local with a welcome for all. The bare-boarded, earthy-hued bar/dining area is comfortably rustic with leather armchairs and sofas, and candles on chunky tables, so pop in for a pint of Rother Valley Level Best and get cosy by the brick inglenook – famously favoured by Hilaire Belloc. If you're peckish, look to the chalkboards for the day's seasonal dishes: locally landed lemon sole, Rye Bay scallops, slow-roasted pork belly with Bramley apple spiced compote, chargrilled lamb rump with minted rösti. Ingredients are sourced within 30 miles and everything is homemade, so expect the best. Upstairs, money has been lavished on four gorgeous luxury-steeped rooms with superb Hypnos beds, signature wallpapers, rich fabrics, antique furniture and beautiful en suite shower rooms. Perfect for visiting nearby Battle, Bodiam Castle, Pashley Manor Gardens and more besides.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited The George Inn?Tell us your thoughts.
- 4 Twin/doubles
High Street, Robertsbridge, Battle, TN32 5AW, Sussex
The George Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink