The George Inn
High Street, Robertsbridge, Battle, TN32 5AW,
England, United Kingdom
This handsome old inn in pretty Robertsbridge has a warm welcome for all. The bare-boarded, earthy-hued bar/dining area is the perfect setting for richly textured fabrics, wool and leather chairs and sofas, painted tables and beautiful period pieces. Family portraits gaze serenely down as you enjoy a pint of Rother Valley Level Best and get cosy by the brick inglenook – famously favoured by Hilaire Belloc. If you're peckish, look to the chalkboards for the day's local and seasonal dishes: locally landed lemon sole, Rye Bay scallops, slow-roasted pork belly with Bramley apple spiced compote, chargrilled lamb rump with minted rösti. Or opt for a chargrilled rib eye steak, cut to size and order. Leave room for lovely puddings, especially the chocolately ones. Upstairs, money has been lavished on four gorgeous luxury-steeped rooms with superb Hypnos beds, signature wallpapers, rich fabrics, antique furniture and beautiful en suite shower rooms. Perfect for visiting nearby Battle, Bodiam Castle, Pashley Manor Gardens and more besides.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
John & Jane Turner:
- Set in the heart of 1066 Country and an area of outstanding natural beauty, Robertsbridge is perfect for exploring the varied county of Sussex. From rolling countryside, to pebble beaches with towering chalk cliffs, the choice is yours! Come and explore.
- Capture the spirit of Sussex, a county steeped in history with colourful festivals throughout the year. "Jack in the Green" "Seafood & Wine" and "Village Bonfire celebrations" to name just a few. Unbelievable until you see them so come and join in.
- With an passion for supporting local farmers, we are spoilt with the variety of fresh meat, game, fish, fruit and vegetables available to us. Not to mention the award winning Kentish Vineyards who produce some of the best sparkling wine now in the world.
- We are surrounded by National Trust and English Heritage properties as well as many beautiful gardens, which make for perfect days out. After which you can come back home to your Country Inn for drinks and dinner with a short walk up the stairs to bed!
- Fancy leaving the car at home? Why not come and visit us by train as we have a mainline station just 10 minutes walk away. You could even stop off and visit Royal Tunbridge Wells on your way down!
Have you visited The George Inn?Tell us your thoughts.
- 4 Twin/doubles
High Street, Robertsbridge, Battle, TN32 5AW, Sussex
The George Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink