England, United Kingdom
Wiltshire’s oldest inhabited manor house is a beauty, Grade I-listed with 13th-century porch and 15th-century chapel. In the renovated stable yard are four soft-brick cottages with garden views; elegant but not precious they are dreamy for two... or one party together. Slip round the side to The Wing with its stunning stained glass and lovely beamed bedrooms. Play hide and seek in the blissful gardens, take a dip in the romanesque pool. Discover a perfect, old-fashioned rose garden for summer and an arboretum of exotic trees for autumn: Caroline and Ken are committed to maintaining the plans laid down and executed so brilliantly by Major Martin Gibbs in the 1950s. Find newt-filled ponds, orchards, ancient yews, medieval grain store, sunken garden, a potager for the house and a meadow, all joined together by stone walls and meandering paths. Roses cascade around windows, creating delicious scents in May and June; below the terrace is a wide path leading to a beautiful old stone love-seat. It is all deeply romantic and perfect for the bride and groom, and when there isn’t a wedding you get it all to yourselves!
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- Rent the cottages together.
- Farm shop 300 yds.
Have you visited Sheldon Manor?Tell us your thoughts.
- 4 Cottages for 2 - 6
- 1 House for 6
From £50 pp per night (min 2-night stay). Christmas & New Year £80 pp (min. 3-night stay).