Swinton, Ripon, HG4 4JH,
England, United Kingdom
Swinton is utterly glorious, a fabulous old pile that flaunts its beauty with rash abandon. It stands in 200 acres of parkland, part of a 20,000-acre estate. You get the full aristocratic works: five lakes and a huge kitchen garden outside, then stately interiors at every turn within. Expect marble pillars, varnished wood floors, vast arched windows, roaring fires. The drawing room is stupendous, a little like the salon of a 17th-century French château, but the dining room is equally impressive, its magnificent ceiling worth the trip alone. The main corridor is an art gallery, there's a bar in the old chapel, a hugely popular cookery school in the old stables, a small spa, too. Bedrooms come in grand style: plush fabrics, huge beds, marble bathrooms, decanters of complimentary gin and whisky. One of the suites occupies the turret, some rooms have sublime views over Home Lake, a couple interconnect, so perfect for families. As for the food, game from the estate and vegetables from the garden are plentiful, while hampers can be left in bothies for walkers wanting a rather good lunch. Magnificent.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited Swinton Park?Tell us your thoughts.
- 25 Twin/doubles
- 6 Suites for 2
Swinton, Ripon, HG4 4JH, Yorkshire