The Old Nail Shed
The Anvil Inn, Sawdon, Scarborough,
England, United Kingdom
It's rare for us to fall for a tool shed, but this one has been stunningly revived. It was once part of the Anvil Inn opposite – where Mark and Alex, owners of cottage and pub, produce up delicious meals. As for the Old Nail Shed, they've shot the building through with contemporary style. Roof-to-floor glass panels catch the sunset over the hills, the open-plan wood-and-steel interior is warmed by greys, greens and browns, and the slate floors are heated underfoot. Most striking is the staircase (hand-built by the local blacksmith) that winds up to a snug double on the mezzanine. It's a sophisticated space, the comfy side of minimalist, with a wonderful free-standing bath under starry spotlights that demands to be shared. The kitchen at one end is equally high-tech. There's a little garden – and another outdoor space shared with pub-goers. As for the area, it is walker heaven. This pretty village, midway between Scarborough and Pickering, has the North York Moors National Park on its doorstep. Those looking for a romantic retreat will adore it, and foodies will make a beeline for the pub.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Mark Wilson & Alexandra Warricker:
- Castle Howard setting for Brideshead Revisited is 25 mins away
- Historical City of York 40 mins away on A64. Visit the stunning York Minster, walk the city walls or check out a Ghost Walk!. Lots of stylish shopping to be had as well.
- Dramatic, romantic Whitby, award winning seaside town with quirky shops and breathtaking views, especially during Goth Week!
- On our doorstep are the North York Moors, Heartbeat Country, and the wonderful Steam Railway based at Pickering, just 15 mins away. Now the train goes all the way to Whitby through some of the most spectacular scenery in the country.
- Dalby, the great Yorkshire Forest is 10 minutes up the road, whether you are a cycling fanatic or music lover. There are 50km of traffic free trails for all levels of mountain bikers. Also the setting for live music events in the summer months.
- You will be staying yards from the best dining pub in North Yorkshire! Final 12 from over 200 in current 2011 competition for Yorkshire's Favourite Pub!!! Sample menus & movie on our website.
Have you visited The Old Nail Shed?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Barn for 2
Call to find out about special offers. Short breaks available off-peak. £120 per night.
The Anvil Inn, Sawdon, Scarborough, Yorkshire