Yew Tree Cottage
England, United Kingdom
It's a house with a history and a joy to behold. Built in 1750, a farmhouse for centuries, and home to the Land Army in World War II, Yew Tree Cottage stands on the broad main street of pretty Westow – right by a cosy, good pub! – a listed stone end-of-terrace with a pan-tile roof and white windows. Young owners Paul and Natasha bought Yew Tree in 2007, renovated all the old bits and made it shine again; they even reintroduced the front garden's black railings. It's a delight to walk into, the quasi open-plan ground floor, with its oak floors and beams, its open fire in the dining room, wood stove in the sitting room, and modern stylish décor. Chic leather sofas are new, the bathroom floor is heated and the pillows are feather but this doesn't feel hotelly, it just feels like home. There's a welcome hamper in a Shaker-style kitchen (range cooker, double butler's sink, American fridge), the dining room has a chunky oak table and the bedrooms are delicious and luxurious, the main double with a plasma TV. If it rains you have DVDs, CDs, computers and candles – and good old-fashioned board games, too. If it shines, there are Howsham Hall's woods to wander, Castle Howard to discover, magnificent Kirkham Priory down the road. And a sweet walled garden that catches the sun.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Natasha McCabe:
- Free wifi and parking
- Families welcome, large kitchen, cot, highchair & kids crockery
- Secluded walled garden with family sized bbq
- Books, DVDs, board games, ipod docks
- We can organise private catering, baby sitting and beauty therapies to come to the cottage.
- Close to Castle Howard, Kirkham Priory, historical York. A perfect base for exploring the North York Moors, the Yorkshire Wolds and the Coast
Have you visited Yew Tree Cottage?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 4
3-4 night stays from £461. 10% discount for 2 people.