Old Kilmory Church
Argyll & Bute
Scotland, United Kingdom
Wild, rugged, miles from anywhere but the ocean – little Kilmory church. Be greeted by swirling skylarks, bobbing wagtails, sheep grazing on pastures that rise gently from the Minch. Your stone retreat is simply but cosily renovated: two sets of bunks in a room on the ground floor; slanting ceilings, skylights, and a wood-framed double bed on an open gallery above. The shiny blue and white bathroom has hints of the coast; the little kitchen, decked with gadgets, has hand-built oak cabinets, rust-coloured tiles and a dining corner. Toast your tired feet by the log-burner in the sitting room where honey-wood floors and half-panelled walls create a chalet feel. There's no TV (it's too remote) but there are board games and books. From cushioned window seats, views stretch out across the old graveyard to the Isles of Eigg, Rhum, Muck and Skye; a mile's walk brings you to a beautiful sandy secluded beach. Catch the ferry from Kilchoan to Tobermory, where shops and a seafood restaurant await, Fort William is a two-hour drive (via the ferry). Come to escape.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Jacqui Chapple:
- 35 minute Ferry trip to Tobermory with its Art Galleries and Cafes
- Near to Ardnamurchan Lighthouse the most Westerly point of the British Isles
- Great views of Skye and the small Isles.
- Surrounded by sandy beaches on the North Coast.
- Near to Sanna Bay, with its famous white beaches.
- Near to the Natural History Centre.
Have you visited Old Kilmory Church?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 4
Closed in Winter.
Kilmory, Argyll & Bute