The Kilberry Inn
Kilberry, Tarbert, PA29 6YD,
Argyll & Bute
Scotland, United Kingdom
It's a little like Local Hero, a patch of heaven in the middle of nowhere with vast skies, forested hills and the Sound of Jura pouring past. As for the Kilberry, it stands on the road in this tiny village (cars pass at the rate of one an hour). Outside, the phone box is soon to become the smallest whisky bar in the world. Inside, oodles of rustic charm, with Farrow & Ball colours, exposed stone walls and an open fire that burns most nights. Half-bottles of champagne wait at the bar, as do local ales and excellent malts. In summer life spills onto the roadside for lunch in the sun. And the food here is the big draw. Clare's cooking is some of the best on the west coast, perhaps mussels and surf clams cooked in white wine, rack of hill lamb marinated in honey, then mocha brûlée with coffee ice-cream. Spotless bedrooms have pretty colours, comfy beds, robes in compact shower rooms. Two are bigger; one has a sitting room, the other a hot tub on a private terrace. Elsewhere, sandy beaches, standing stones and golf at Machrihanish. Worth the detour.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited The Kilberry Inn?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Suite for 2
- 4 Doubles
Min. two nights at weekends July/Aug.
Mondays. January & February. Sunday-Thursday in November & December.
Kilberry, Tarbert, PA29 6YD, Argyll & Bute