The Keepers Cottage
Isle of Scalpay, Isle of Skye, Broadford,
Isle of Skye
Scotland, United Kingdom
The open boat crossing from Skye to Scalpay is the New World of Scotland's scenic symphonies: dramatic hills, thick woods, rocks and moorland rise into view; an escort – if you're lucky – of seals, dolphins or sea eagles plays alongside. It's invigorating and truly special, as is the island itself. Guests are encouraged to roam its ten square miles and 14 miles of shoreline, to fish trout in teeming lochs and burns, to stomp through woodland and over carpets of heather roamed by red deer, to visit a ruined Viking village, to barbecue on a small, sandy bay. Michael and Veronica live here and work diligently to improve this slice of nature: Michael with a laudable tree planting project, Veronica with her self-catering cottages. Keepers Cottage, set in lawns that slide down to the shore and beautifully refurbished with lots of local wood, is a place to yawn, stretch and get away from it all. Step in, kick off muddy boots, sink into a bathtub-with-a-view, then descend to the modern kitchen and dining room or leap out through French doors to the garden. There's a light conservatory for lazy summer evenings, a cosy sitting room with wood-burner for warding off wintry storms. Expect large windows and captivating views, privacy, rest and adventure.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Veronica Walford:
- Whether it's relaxation or adventure you are after, this unique & very special private island is the perfect spot.
- Recharge your batteries in this peaceful haven with wonderful scenes for painting and photography. Enjoy a private barbecue or stroll along your very own secluded beach.
- For the more adventurous, there is over 6000 acres to explore, from the ruins of a Viking village and a 7th Century cemetery, to the many species of unique resident wildlife including eagles, deer, seals and trout.
- View the island from land as you walk the trails, or take a sea excursion around the island.
- With its spacious surroundings the Island is the perfect escape for couples and families alike. Whether its collecting shells and fossils, or catching crabs, fishing off the jetty and in the lochs for brown trout, there is something for everyone.
- The peace and quiet of Scalpay is a 10-minute boat ride from Skye, where you can explore Portree (1/2 hr drive), the Old Man of Storr, the Quiring, Amadale & Dunvegan Castles and The Cuillins.
Have you visited The Keepers Cottage?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 6
Short breaks available. Cot available. Dogs welcome but not in the bedrooms. Sheets and towels provided.
November - April.
Isle of Scalpay, Isle of Skye, Broadford, Isle of Skye