6 Willoughby Street, Muthill, PH5 2AB,
Perth & Kinross
Scotland, United Kingdom
A few miles north of Gleneagles, a super little restaurant with rooms that delivers what so many people want: stylish interiors, super food, excellent prices, a warm welcome. This is a small family-run affair. Fabrice is French and cooks sublimely, Alison, a Scot, looks after the wine. Their stage is Barley Bree – whisky soup to you and me – an 18th-century coaching inn that has recently had a facelift. Now a band of happy locals come for fabulous Scottish food cooked with predictable French flair, perhaps rabbit terrine with a wild garlic salad, fillet of halibut with spring onion mash, and cardamom cheesecake with chocolate ice-cream. The restaurant, nicely rustic, has a fire that burns on both sides, while in summer you decant onto a terrace for lunch in the sun. Upstairs, six lovely rooms come in neutral colours. You get crisp linen and comfy beds, then underfloor heating in excellent little shower rooms. One room is big and has a claw-foot bath. Head down to Gleneagles for a game of golf; the Ryder Cup comes through in 2014.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Fabrice & Alison Bouteloup:
- Ask about wedding receptions!
Have you visited Barley Bree?Tell us your thoughts.
- 6 Twin/doubles
Christmas & New Year.
6 Willoughby Street, Muthill, PH5 2AB, Perth & Kinross