The Black Lion Inn
Llanfaethlu, Holyhead, LL65 4NL,
Wales, United Kingdom
The lion roars again thanks to the hard work of owners Mari and Leigh who have transformed this once derelict late 18th-century country inn. Contemporary slate tiles wrap round a modern bar, lime rendered walls host modern pictures; one is a fabulous collage of the menu's provenance. French windows open to a paved patio with views across the car park to fields, one of which will soon grow vegetables and herbs for the kitchen. Ales from Marstons and interesting wines from Wales set you up for modern British dishes with a Gallic twist or two. Try fresh-as-can-be local pan-fried scallops with black pudding on a bed of wilted lettuce topped with butter sauce, or beef from Mari's father's own Hereford herd. Upstairs are two hugely comfortable rooms with open rafters, thick carpets and handmade oak furniture: the mattresses are top of the range, the bathrooms gleam with white tiles, mosaic inlay and sleek chrome. You are beside a road but thick walls and small windows ensure blissful calm, while eco-energy keeps you snug. Glorious Anglesey awaits.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited The Black Lion Inn?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Double
- 1 Family room for 4
3-6pm Mon-Fri. Open all day Sat-Sun. From Nov to Easter, closed Mon-Tues.
Llanfaethlu, Holyhead, LL65 4NL, Anglesey
The Black Lion Inn is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink