Plas Dinas Country House
Bontnewydd, Caernarfon, LL54 7YF,
Wales, United Kingdom
This is the family home of Lord Snowdon. It dates to the 1600s and stands in 15 acres with an avenue of oak that sweeps you up to the house. Princess Margaret stayed often and much of what fills the house belongs to the family: stunning chandeliers, oils by the score, gilt-framed mirrors – an Aladdin's cave of beautiful things. There's a baby grand piano in the drawing room, where you find smart wood floors, an honesty bar and a fire that roars, but potter about the house and find masses of memorabilia framed on the walls (make sure you visit the private dining room). Bedrooms are quite something, the past mixing gracefully with modern design. Nothing is left to chance, a constant programme of refurbishment sees to that. You get four-posters, classic colours, sumptuous fabrics, a sofa if there's room. Bathrooms are excellent, some with showers, others with free-standing baths. Back downstairs Andy's cooking hits the spot, perhaps smoked salmon mousse, lamb shank with mint and rosemary, then Baileys crème brûlée. Snowdon is close, as you'd expect.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Andy & Julian Banner-Price:
- Snowdon Mountain - highest peak in England & Wales, must for climbers and walkers with terrific views. Alternatively take the Snowdon Mountain Railway to the summit.
- Welsh Highland Railway - running from Caernarfon all the way to Porthmadog, this steam railway is an ideal way to get around whilst enjoying stunning scenery.
- Portmeirion - beautiful Italianate village made famous by the Prisoners series in the 60s. Also the home of Portmeirion pottery.
- Caernarfon Castle - World Heritage Site.
- Penrhyn Castle - National Trust property with a fascinating history and some impressive art.
- Bodnant Garden - a must for garden lovers, the estate also includes a large gift shop, garden centre and food halls featuring local food producers.
Have you visited Plas Dinas Country House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 6 Doubles
- 3 Twin/doubles
Minimum two nights on bank holiday weekends.
22 Dec-2 Jan.
Bontnewydd, Caernarfon, LL54 7YF, Gwynedd