Plas Dinas Country House
Bontnewydd, Caernarfon, LL54 7YF,
Wales, United Kingdom
The family home of Lord Snowdon dates to the 1600s and stands in 15 rural acres with an avenue of oak sweeping you up to the house. Princess Margaret often stayed and much of what fills the house belongs to the family: striking chandeliers, oils by the score, gilt-framed mirrors – an Aladdin's cave of beautiful things. There's a baby grand piano in the drawing room, where you find a roaring fire and an honesty bar, but potter about and find masses of memorabilia framed on the walls (make sure you visit the private dining room). Bedrooms – some with views across fields to the sea – mix a graceful past with modern design. You get four-posters, period colours, bold wallpapers, a sofa if there's room. A cute room in the eaves has mountain views, all have hot-water bottles, Apple TVs and excellent bathrooms, some with showers, others with free-standing baths. Good food waits in the restaurant, perhaps fishcakes with lime and ginger, lamb shank with a rosemary jus, chocolate tart with white chocolate ice cream. Snowdon is close, as you'd expect, so bring walking boots and mountain bikes.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Neil Baines & Marco Soarez:
- Snowdon Mountain - highest peak in England & Wales, must for climbers and walkers with terrific views. Alternatively take the Snowdon Mountain Railway to the summit.
- Welsh Highland Railway - running from Caernarfon all the way to Porthmadog, this steam railway is an ideal way to get around whilst enjoying stunning scenery.
- Portmeirion - beautiful Italianate village made famous by the Prisoners series in the 60s. Also the home of Portmeirion pottery.
- Caernarfon Castle - World Heritage Site.
- Penrhyn Castle - National Trust property with a fascinating history and some impressive art.
- Bodnant Garden - a must for garden lovers, the estate also includes a large gift shop, garden centre and food halls featuring local food producers.
Have you visited Plas Dinas Country House?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
- 5 Twin/doubles
Special Offer: May Bank Holiday Weekend Special - Fri/Sat/Sun - 3 nights at award winning Plas Dinas, dinner for two on one night, a bottle of house champagne AND a box of handmade Welsh Chocolates - Bachelor Room £429, South Room £599, Princess £699 Quote SAWDAYS
Minimum two nights on bank holiday weekends.
22 Dec-2 Jan.
Bontnewydd, Caernarfon, LL54 7YF, Gwynedd