The Bell at Skenfrith
Skenfrith, Abergavenny, NP7 8UH,
Wales, United Kingdom
The position here is magical: an ancient stone bridge, a magnificent valley, glorious hills rising behind, cows grazing in lush fields. It's a perfect spot, not least because providence has blessed it with this sublime inn, where crisply designed interiors ooze country chic. In summer doors fly open and life spills onto a stone terrace, where views of hill and wood are interrupted only by the odd chef pottering off to a productive and organic kitchen garden. Back inside, airy rooms come with slate floors, open fires and plump-cushioned armchairs in the locals' bar, but the emphasis is firmly on the food, with the kitchen turning out delicious fare, perhaps seared scallops with cauliflower purée, heather-roasted venison with chestnut gnocchi, marmalade soufflé with whisky ice-cream. Country-house bedrooms are as good as you'd expect: uncluttered and elegant, brimming with light, some beamed (mind your head!), all with fabulous bathrooms. All have sweet views, either of the kitchen garden or the river. Idyllic circular walks sweep you through blissful country.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited The Bell at Skenfrith?Tell us your thoughts.
- 5 Doubles
- 3 Twin/doubles
- 3 Four-posters
Minimum two nights at weekends.
Skenfrith, Abergavenny, NP7 8UH, Monmouthshire
The Bell at Skenfrith is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink