Upper Meend Farm, Lydart, Monmouth,
Wales, United Kingdom
A neat-as-a-pin refurbishment of an 18th-century Welsh farmhouse bang in the middle of a proper working farm. You're surrounded by a sweet garden (mostly edible) and sheep, cows, chickens, the most beautiful pigs and inspiring views. If you're keen you can join farmer Tim for a morning and learn the ropes. Or try your hand at bee keeping, orchard planting, smallholding or foraging. This is Wordsworth and Turner country, with delicious landscapes accessible by foot, canoe, car or bike. Return to a perfect home-from-home with slate floors, jolly rugs, good art, a roaring wood-burner (logs on the house), comfy vintage chairs and sofa, books, games, and a cook's dream of a blue-panelled kitchen where local cook Katherine Marland can come and give you a private lesson – but lazy bones can order tasty home-cooked food to be delivered. Sleep peacefully: pristine bedrooms have soft Welsh blankets and thick blinds at the windows with a bit of a hare theme going on; wallow in a deep bath – solace for walk-weary limbs. In summer spill out to the garden for perfect barbecues and long convivial evenings watching the sun slither down.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Ludo Graham:
- Historic ruins of Tintern Abbey.
- Fantastic sculpture trail and playground at Beechenhurst, Forest of Dean.
- Learn about Welsh mining history at Blaenavon World Heritage Site.
- Many fantastic restaurants close by, including The Crown at Whitebrook & The Walnut Tree Abergavenny.
- Ideal for visiting Abergavenny food festival or the renowned Hay-on-Wye literary festival.
Have you visited The Piggery?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 4
Book courses in advance. 10% discount for Piggery guests.
Upper Meend Farm, Lydart, Monmouth, Monmouthshire