Gliffaes Road, Crickhowell, NP8 1RH,
Wales, United Kingdom
A charming country house above the river Usk, which pours through the valley below. In summer, the sitting room bar opens onto a large terrace, where you can sit in the sun and soak in the view – red kites circling above the water, sheep grazing majestic hills. You're in 35 peaceful acres of formal lawns and mature woodland. Inside, interiors pack a punch. Afternoon tea is laid out in a sitting room of panelled walls and family portraits, while logs crackle in a grand fireplace. This is a fishing hotel, one of the best, and fishermen often gather in the bar for tall tales and a quick drink at the end of the day. Eventually, they spin through to the restaurant and dig into seasonal food (the hotel is part of the Slow Food Movement) – goats' cheese soufflé, lemon sole, plum and cherry crumble... Bedrooms above are in country-house style with smart fabrics and carpets, all mod cons, a sofa if there's room; others are in the coach house annexe. Several have river views, a couple have small balconies, one has a claw-foot bath that overlooks the front lawn.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited Gliffaes Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 19 Twin/doubles
- 4 Singles
Minimum two nights at weekends.
Gliffaes Road, Crickhowell, NP8 1RH, Powys