Gliffaes Road, Crickhowell, NP8 1RH,
Wales, United Kingdom
A charming country-house hotel that towers above the river Usk as it pours through the valley below. In summer, the sitting room bar opens onto a large terrace, where you can sit in the sun and soak in the view – red kites circling above the water, sheep grazing majestic hills. You're in 35 peaceful acres of formal lawns and mature woodland. Inside, interiors pack a punch. Afternoon tea is laid out in a sitting room of panelled walls and family portraits, while logs crackle in a grand fireplace. This is a fishing hotel, one of the best, and fishermen often gather in the bar for tall tales and a quick drink at the end of the day. Eventually, they spin through to the restaurant and dig into seasonal food (the hotel is part of the Slow Food Movement) – goats' cheese soufflé, lemon sole, plum and cherry crumble... Bedrooms above are in country-house style with smart fabrics and carpets, all mod cons, a sofa if there's room; others are in the coach house annexe. Several have river views, a couple have small balconies, one has a claw-foot bath that overlooks the front lawn.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
James & Susie Suter:
- The hotel has 1.5 miles of trout fishing on the river Usk available to guests. You will need to bring your own tackle but we can arrange for guides.
- James and Susie have labeled, mapped and described some 40 or so of the best 100 mature trees in the 33 acres of grounds at Gliffaes. Take yourself on a beautiful stroll through our tree scape.
- The medieval Manor of Tretower Court, maintained by CADW, is just over a mile and half down the lane and has been beautifully restored to recreate rural life in the 15th century.
- If its walks you are after, you have come to right place. We have the Black Mountains on our doorstep and the Brecon Beacons just around the corner. We will help with route planning and set you up with a picnic lunch to take with you.
- We have a tandem bicycle you may borrow free of charge and two electrically assisted bikes to hire. Bikes are one of the best ways to explore the the maze of small lanes that criss cross the National Park.
- Book Lover? Just 25 minutes away is Hay-on-Wye, second hand book capital of the world. Plenty of interesting book and print shops to explore. Take the route over Hay Bluff for a truly spectacular drive.
Have you visited Gliffaes Hotel?Tell us your thoughts.
- 19 Twin/doubles
- 4 Singles
Minimum two nights at weekends.
Gliffaes Road, Crickhowell, NP8 1RH, Powys