Hôtel Edward 1er
5 rue Saint Pierre, 24540 Monpazier,
Some people lounge beside the pool on their honeymoon; Arjan and Marije, your delightful, hands-on hosts, went hotel hunting on theirs. And they found one: a handsome 19th-century turreted townhouse on the edge of a miraculously preserved 13th-century village, voted one of the most beautiful in France. Now they are well established and have seamlessly extended into an adjoining building. Herbs are from the garden, vegetables and fruit are local, fish hails from Bordeaux and Arcachon; everything is made here except bread and ice cream, supplied by artisans. Marije creates the menus and has chosen mostly regional wines – Bergerac, Cahors, Monbazillac – to accompany the foie gras and duck cuisine. After you have explored the fortified village – four sides set round the huge central square, the surrounding houses corbelled out with arches – further medieval bastides beckon: there are a dozen or so. Arjan has prepared bicycle itineraries and can point out the best place to paddle a canoe. Or you may just want to lounge by the deep-blue pool, honeymoon-style! Lushly comfortable rooms await.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Arjan & Marije Capelle:
- Hotel Edward 1er is situated on the remparts of Monpazier in the south of the Dordogne, not far from the neighbouring departments of Lot et Garonne and the Lot . This area is often described as 'the Tuscany of France'.
- Hotel-Restaurant Edward 1er is a very good starting point for diverse daytrips trought the beautiful area. In the Dordogne, every season has its own charm. Mild spring, warm summer and with the light here, a golden autumn.
- The Périgord is the place if you like good food and wine, offering many gastronomic delights: foie gras, truffles, duck, trout, quail and game. We will be happy to help you organize trips to markets, farms and vineyards for winetasting.
- The Dordogne is world famous for its prehistoric sites, such as the caves of Lascaux, Font de Gaumes and the renowned national museum of prehistory in Les Eyzies. It is easy to visit Les Eyzies and Caves of Lascaux from our hotel in Monpazier.
- Castles of Biron, Castelnaud and Beynac. During the Middle Ages in which many fortified villages were built, including Domme and of course Monpazier, there were also castles built in Biron, Beynac and Castlenaud.
Have you visited Hôtel Edward 1er?Tell us your thoughts.
- 11 Doubles
- 6 Twins
Singles €53-€103. Breakfast & dinner €40 per person. Extra bed/sofabed available €21-€28 per person per night.
30 November to 14 March.
5 rue Saint Pierre, 24540 Monpazier, Dordogne