The Gatehouse - Kistinic
Kistinic, 235 Route de Guengat, 29000 Quimper,
The art of good living is no book title, it's this charming stone cottage gatehouse in the heart of Brittany. Built in the 19th century to serve the fairytale château (pictured above), the cottage's young interior belies its history. A luxurious minimalism is on display here, with a good dose of joie de vivre thrown in. Emerging from indulgent bedding and stepping onto polished wooden floors is a beautiful way to start the day, as is bathing in a spacious bathroom with natural stone flooring. Claire and Andrew love it when families stay – and this cottage is made for easy living, with its uncluttered, glass-chandeliered living area and its smartly equipped kitchen. Wonder, too, at the setting... No surprise to learn that Claire once researched locations for television productions. Run reckless through the rhododendrons – as the azaleas and camellias do – growing among enough woodland and lawns to cause delusions of grandeur from your bedroom window. Children will love the shared play area, the family's infinity pool – and the zipline in the woods! Historic Quimper is close.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
- The beautiful park of Kistinic is 15 hectares and has long sweeping groomed lawns, big banks of camelias, azaleas and rhododendrons, and woodland paths with specimen trees.
- The gatehouse is 3km from the heart of Quimper which is a beautiful pedestrianized medieval city. Many a day can be spent wondering its flower filled cobbled streets, visting restaurants, museums, galleries and smart boutiques.
- The gatehouse is very handy for the local beaches. Situated at the centre of the peninsula there is a huge variety of stunning coastline to explore. The favourites with families are Benodet and Ile Tudy, but the surfing beach of La Torche is also not far.
- A trip down The Odet, 'France's most beautiful River' either by kayak or Vedette is one of the highlights of a visit to the area.
- If you like food, you can not only have fun exploring the local markets and specialist boutiques, but also enjoy some of the top gourmet restaurants in Brittany.
- The area has a rich cultural history and comes alive in the summer with local folk and music festivals where you can experience the strong Breton traditions.
Have you visited The Gatehouse - Kistinic?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 6
Short breaks available.
Kistinic, 235 Route de Guengat, 29000 Quimper, Finistère