Le Grand Hermitage
Chemin de la Faïence, Villeneuvette, 34800 Clermont l’Hérault,
Languedoc - Roussillon, France
Up a country lane, a splendid romantic retreat – or two, on either side of the pretty pool – set against wooded hills and starlit skies (no light pollution, it's a regional park). Richard and Barbara built two fine 'old' barns that sit easily among the Languedoc hills, gave them perfect galley kitchens, old oak floors and English antiques. It is exceedingly comfortable, discreet and welcoming; the luxury is in the service. Barbara's attention to detail goes to bathrobes and handmade soaps, the kitchen basics (oil, vinegar, etc), breakfast stuffs for the first morning, baskets for your shopping. If they have not gone travelling, they will regale you with tales of this ongoing eco-friendly project, all natural materials, lime washes, recycled paper insulation, solar-heated pool: great people. Order a tasty winter casserole or summer salad and invite your friends for candlelit dinner. Or walk through the woods to the nearest (good) restaurant. Then retire to your divinely daring, bronze-balustraded sleeping platform: big, white, soft – and a roll top bath bang opposite the window and the sky.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Barbara Simpson-Birks:
- Come for a guaranteed child-free break in deep country peace. Bring your music: there’s a piano in one house, a guitar in the other. Barbara will cook for you, Richard will chauffeur you in his classy Jaguar - sheer luxury.
- The fascinating walled village of Villeneuvette, a listed 17th-century monument, is 10 minutes’ walk. Pézenas, a lively old town full of antique shops and fine eateries, is half an hour by car. Tours can be organised: vineyards, monuments, restaurants .
- The walking is wonderful - one path goes right past the door. This is superb cycling country, too (there are 4 bikes to borrow here), and the Lac du Salagou is just down the road for swimming, sailing, wind-surfing and lazing in secluded coves.
- Hoping to cook in that fine kitchen? You will find a well-tended tub of aromatic herbs growing outside your door, hens in the garden for fresh eggs and colourful street markets in the nearby villages and towns.
- Book early to avoid disappointment: the word is out and bookings for the season start arriving in January. Dates can be flexible, no fixed start or end days are imposed.
Have you visited Le Grand Hermitage?Tell us your thoughts.
- 2 Barns for 2
Not suitable for children. Short breaks or B&B possible. Min. 2 days. Ask about long winter lets.
Chemin de la Faïence, Villeneuvette, 34800 Clermont l’Hérault, Hérault