6 Impasse des Roses, Puymoreau, 17400 La Benate,
Poitou - Charentes, France
You are a short hop away from St Jean D'Angely with its pretty Romanesque architecture and good restaurants, but all is peaceful here, in the rustic village. Inside this converted, ancient building you find a roomy, open-plan living area with a wood-burning stove, muted colours and a fresh, seaside feel, while a galleried landing has brown leather sofas. This is perfect for four grown ups, with two small terraced areas for al fresco dining and staring at grand views, and a simple, sparkling kitchen with all the bits even a serious cook might need. Bedrooms are just off the living area and are light and airy with some good-looking artefacts dotted about and cool stone tiles on the floors; colours are blues and sands. There are two bathrooms – both absolutely gorgeous in mosaic and stone; one with his and hers sinks and a walk-in shower, the other with a deep bath. There's plenty to do locally (the village has a riding school) and you are near to vineyards if wine is your thing; but the lovely coast is only a 40-minute drive – go all cosmopolitan and hit the Chatilaillon plage.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Wireless internet access available.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Lesley Hanmore:
- The medieval town of St Jean D’Angely is just 5 minutes away. It has kept its ancient charm and still remains a major stopping off point on the Santiago de Compostela pilgrim route.
- There are local produce markets in the area most days of the week and St Jean D’Angely has its own twice weekly market on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
- The town of Cognac is nearby. Take a distillery tour and finish up with a cocktail. The Bordeaux vineyards are within easy reach or go wine tasting at a local Charentais vineyard.
- There are numerous beaches within easy reach including the beautiful beaches of Ile de Re. Enjoy a seafood lunch on the marina in St Martin and then relax on the sand while the sun sets.
- Fresh fish and seafood is plentiful. The area is renowned for its oysters and mussels. It is a gourmet’s paradise whether you choose to cook yourself (Le Batiment has a great well-equipped kitchen) or to eat out.
- There are some excellent restaurants nearby. Le Scorlion situated in the courtyard of the ancient Abbaye is a delight on a summer’s evening or for a lazy lunch. Try one of the night markets where locals gather to buy their supper and then eat under the stars.
Have you visited Le Batiment?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Barn for 4
6 Impasse des Roses, Puymoreau, 17400 La Benate, Charente-Maritime