Mas de la Rabassière
2137 chemin de la Rabassière, 13250 Saint Chamas,
Provence - Alps - Riviera, France
Fanfares of lilies at the door, Haydn inside and Michael smiling in his chef's apron. Rabassière means 'where truffles are found' and his epicurean dinners are a must; wines from the neighbouring vineyard and a sculpted dancer grace the terrace table. Cookery classes using home-produced olive oil and advice on what to see and where to go, jogging companionship and airport pick-ups are all part of Michael's unflagging hospitality; nobly aided by Thévi, his Singaporean assistant. Michael was posted to France by a multi-national and on his retirement slipped into this lush corner of Provence. The proximity of the canal keeps everything green: revel in the well-tree'd park with its grassy olive grove, roses galore, lilies, jasmine, and white and blue wisteria. There's a large library in English and French, and bedrooms and drawing room are comfortable in English country-house style: generous beds, erudite books, a tuned piano, fine etchings and oils, Provençal antiques. Come savour this charmingly generous house – and Michael's homemade croissants and fig jam on the shady veranda.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- Provence; this is a region of amazing interest and all of it is within an hour's drive from the house. Large historic town such as Arles, Avignon, Aix and Marseille: wild inland and coastal scenery: the Alpilles, Luberon, Camargue, Ste Baume and the coast
- Arles is my favourite town with extensive Roman remains and an excellent Roman museum with the latest finds from the bed of the Rhone: one of the only two marble busts of Ceasar dating from his lifetime and a 30m boat. Arles is worth a full day
- Avignon, Aix and Marseille are well worth half a day each. Guests receive full purpose written documentation on all of these with suggestions on the use of the other half of the day, in Villeneuve les Avignon or the Cezanne country around Aix for example
- Walking: the region is crisscrossed with walkways of anything between one an six hours. Most of these are available for the mountain bikes which we provide free of charge. If free I enjoy coming along too, but again our documentation should get you home
- The Luberon and other semi mountain areas are fiull of charming villages such as St Rémy, Eygalieres, Lourmarin, Roussillon, St Maximin, and Cassis, an,d one is seldom far from a modestly priced restaurants; if you prefer we can provide a picnic
- Provence gives a quite different view of the Med from the Cote d'Azur. One finds a lot of people in Cassis or Stes Marie de la Mer on an August weekend but nothing compared to the towns further East. The Camargue coast and East from Marseille mostly empty.
Have you visited Mas de la Rabassière?Tell us your thoughts.
- 2 Doubles
Singles €85. Dinner, B&B €130-€140 per person. Extra bed/sofabed available at no charge.
Children of all ages welcome. If you have to cancel/change your booking please contact owner as soon as possible.
2137 chemin de la Rabassière, 13250 Saint Chamas, Bouches-du-Rhône