La Maison du Faïencier
Place de la Libération, 83670 Varages,
Provence - Alps - Riviera, France
Step in from the village square and be catapulted into the early 17th century. This captivating house has belonged to three master potters; ateliers still exist in the village. The living area is a cool sweep of the palest terracotta and the kitchen has a La Canche (the Rolls-Royce of gas cookers). Beneath a vaulted ceiling, a majestic staircase transports you to big bedrooms that bring instant seduction: sisal floors, pale timbers, delicate ironwork, generous wicker. Some have slanting skylight windows, others overlook the garden. Stonework has been left exposed where possible, old walls stand at jaunty angles, hand basins have been crafted to fit into uneven walls and showers have 'sunflower' heads. Ron, whose office and suite are downstairs, has kept the soul of the place intact but introduced a contemporary feel, and a smattering of colour in textiles and tiles. Stone martins nest in the courtyard, the garden is sweet with lilacs, apricots and figs, the pool resembles a Roman bath and peaceful Varages comes with market, shops, restaurants and bars. Head for the deep Verdon Gorges and watery adventures!
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
- Gorges du Verdon. Just north is the famous ‘Gorges du Verdon’. Often referred to as Europe’s Grand Canyon it’s rivers and lakes stretch for 25 kilometres and are up to 700 meters deep.
- Village markets. In the hills of Provence the village market still takes centre stage and provides a life-line of fresh local produce. On a Monday morning you’ll even find live chickens for sale right outside my front door!
- Lavender fields. Close your eyes, breathe deeply and listen for the ‘hum’ of busy bees - the heady scent of lavender is strongest in the heart of the summer when the purple/blue prairies stretch as far as the eye can see.
- Aix en Provence. This must be the most beautiful city in the world ; it’s history is endless, architecture stunning and vast and varied market a delight … you just want to sit in a café and watch the world go by.
Have you visited La Maison du Faïencier?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 10
Minimum stay: 7 nights in high season. Short breaks available. Pets by arrangement.
5 January - 28 February.
Place de la Libération, 83670 Varages, Var