The Old Milking Parlour
Ballymurrin House, Kilbride, Wicklow,
Bowl down a gravel track and land in a courtyard surrounded by low buildings. To the left is The Old Milking Parlour, built (circa 1670) when the main house was used as a meeting place for the Quakers. Now Delphine and Philip live here and it is they, green architects both, who have converted the lovely self-contained space you get to stay in. Enter a huge open-plan living area with black floor tiles, bright white walls, a ceiling that soars, criss-crossed by ancient knobbly beams, and all brightened with colourful rugs and wicker sofas. You are toasty warm with geothermal underfloor heating and a wood-burner, huge velux windows pull the light in, and round the corner of one of the original animal stalls is a kitchen with all you need to rustle up meals. Bedrooms are at the top end; the first a double with pretty yellow walls, and the master bedroom up another level. There's a modern light wood bed, rough whitewashed walls, simple furniture and pictures, a walk-in shower cabinet. The house opens from all living areas onto its own private mature south-facing garden. Eco chic at its best.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Delphine & Philip Geoghegan:
- The main house is now open to visitors on certain days in the summer for viewing when Philip conducts tours explaining the Quaker history of the farmhouse, which dates back to around 1669.
- Within an hour from Dublin airport, and just 10 minutes from Wicklow town.
- Drink in the local landscape, including the gardens of Kilmacurragh, Mount Usher and the silver beaches and lovely dunes of Brittas Bay.
- Avoca village (of Ballykissangel fame) and Avoca Handweavers retail outlet are 6 miles away.
- Experience the spectacular, rugged wildernesses of the Wicklow Mountains and the Uplands National Park starting from Glendalough.
- Wicklow Town, capital of the Garden County, is a thriving local centre with good eating places for all budgets and a fascinating visit to the 19th century deportation Gaol.
Have you visited The Old Milking Parlour?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 Cottage for 4
Bookings of 2 weeks or more attract a 10% discount.
Ballymurrin House, Kilbride, Wicklow, Co. Wicklow