Cortijo de la Jarilla
Haza del lino, 18712 Alfornon,
Remote and enchanting. A sea of almonds, olives, figs and vines, a soaring outlook over a mountainous flank to the Mediterranean and across to Africa, and a gregarious Scottish gentleman keen to share this special spot: rural Alpujarra meets Scots eccentricity. Three traditional new-built houses (red roofs, chestnut beams, terracotta floors) nestle among the farm's almond groves, awash with objects reminiscent of life among landed gentry. Find old books and hat stands, paintings of horses, dogs, loch landscapes, a smattering of antiques, proper crockery and silver service in the open-plan kitchen dining room. (Stock up on food before arriving; and note Simon can provide the farm's olive oil and wine.) The houses may be unusual – and brilliant for holidays and house parties – but outside is even better. You get a large pool (ozone-filtered, no chlorine) with vast panoramic views, a tennis court, a boules pitch, barbecues, walking trails, a restaurant at the end of the track, beaches within a short drive, and horse riding nearby. Oh, and a helipad should you wish to arrive in style. A place to stretch and yawn.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Little gems of local knowledge from Simon Munro Kerr:
- 1 hour 15 minutes to Granada and the Alhambra Palace
- 2 hours to the Sierra Nevada ski slopes
- Local village fairs during the summer
- 1 hour to horse riding stables, 1hour to two golf courses
- Half day trip to the white villages of the Alpujjara, famous for its Spanish ham (Trevélez)
- Six good beaches within 45 minutes
Have you visited Cortijo de la Jarilla?Tell us your thoughts.
- 2 Cottages for 4 - 8
- 1 House for 8
Separate nanny/cook accommodation available.
Haza del lino, 18712 Alfornon, Granada