c/Iglesia 40, 29452 Cartajima,
You will be charmed the moment you step through the huge studded door. The Moorish influence seduces so easily: water trickles in a little tiled fountain, arches beckon, geraniums splash the dazzling walls with colour. There's a fireplace, too, for the nippier months. Climb to the next floor and you'll find cool, airy bedrooms – four with balconies; windows frame the loveliest mountain views. Handmade beds, old Spanish rocking chairs, low tables, Moroccan lights and super bathrooms add to the sense of well-being. Go up again and emerge onto an entrancing roof terrace, benignly presided over by the white tower of next door's church. Set among pillars and pierced terracotta screens is a sweet plunge pool for instant cooling. A pampering, grown-up place, where Di and her partner John, smiling and generous, know how to soothe and spoil; enjoy drinks, canapés and conversation before dinner. The food is delicious; the village is tiny, charming and deeply sleepy, and there are good walks to villages glimpsed through the trees – the chestnuts are stunning in the autumn...
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
Little gems of local knowledge from Di Beach & John Walker:
- Birdwatching: The Serrania de Ronda is close to Spring and Autumn migration routes. Four varieties of eagle, too many LBJs to mention including some of rarest in Europe, griffon vultures, the largest European bird, abound.
- Hiking: Our undiscovered valley is a paradise for walkers. Quiet trails connect seven tiny pueblos blancos - we have detailed walking routes.
- Ronda: 20 minutes drive away, Ronda has everything from fascinating historical roots to great places to eat and drink and shop. We have developed a walking tour of the old town which includes the best places to stop for a tapa.
- Cueva de la Pileta is a paleolithic decorated cave just north of Ronda. Tours by lantern-light last an hour and take you deep into a place used by our ancestors 30,000 years ago.
- Wine tasting at one of Ronda's small specialist vineyards. Combine this lovely half-day trip with a visit to Roman Acinipo and its spectacular theatre.
- Andalucia's Romantic Cities: we are a conveniently located base for visiting Jerez, Cadiz, Granada and Sevilla each of which is an easy day-trip.
Have you visited Los Castaños?Tell us your thoughts.
- 6 Twin/doubles
c/Iglesia 40, 29452 Cartajima, Málaga