Seclusion here is absolute, ancient, untouched. The house has a four-part history which the O’Haras, whose family settled here in 1858, relate with verve: they love their old-style family seat and wonderful garden. A fine Afgan rug cheers up the landing off which old fashioned, mostly large bedrooms lie, with freshly painted walls and bathrooms full of character; views include the mighty solitary oak on the front lawn. A path has been mown through the meadow to Lough Derravaragh with Knock Eyon beyond. Downstairs, carpets fade as they approach long ranks of park-facing windows, the gleaming gold drawing-room wallpaper was put up in the 1800s (Warwick has no intention of changing it), velvet cushions are sprinkled over a variety of antique sofas and chairs and a potted lime tree in the dining room catches the sunlight in the morning. Warwick and Anne are genuinely dedicated hosts; roses scent the air, donkeys bray, wood pigeons coo.