Alexandra Hotel & Restaurant
Pound Street, Lyme Regis, DT7 3HZ,
England, United Kingdom
Everything here is lovely, but the view is hard to beat, a clean sweep up the Jurassic coast towards Portland Bill. The hotel overlooks Lyme Bay; the only thing between you and it is the lawn. Below, the Cobb curls into the sea, the very spot where Meryl Streep withstood the crashing waves in The French Lieutenant's Woman. In summer, steamer chairs pepper the garden and guests fall asleep, book in hand, under an English sun. As for the hotel, it's just as good. Kathryn, ex-Firmdale, bought it from her mother and has refurbished brilliantly. You get stripped wood floors, windows everywhere, an airy bar for pre-dinner drinks, an attractive sitting room with plenty of books. The dining room could double as a ballroom, the conservatory brasserie opens onto a terrace; both provide excellent sustenance, perhaps Lyme Bay scallops, roast rump of Devon lamb, gingerbread pudding with vanilla ice-cream. Beautiful rooms hit the spot, most have the view. Expect super beds, padded headboards, robes in lovely bathrooms. Lyme, the beach and the fossil-ridden coast all wait.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
- Guided Fossil Hunting Trips As part of England’s first natural UNESCO World Heritage Site, the beaches around Lyme Regis are among the best on the ‘Jurassic Coast’ to begin your hunt for fossils.
- Rock Pooling Adventures Our guide will introduce you to a rock pool like never before! You will hunt for and learn about the creatures that live in these wonderful little habitats, teaming with life.
- On the Sea Water sports are a major part of life in Lyme. Swimming, Water Skiing, Sailing and Windsurfing keep the famous Cobb Harbour alive with activity during the summer months.
- Coastal pleasure trips, mackerel fishing and deep sea fishing are all available from Lyme’s quaint harbour.
- Nature Walks There are many ‘Heritage’ coastal pathways both east and west of the town. As these paths wind their way along cliffs and through woodlands, stunning sea and landscapes may be enjoyed.
- Houses & Gardens Many wonderful private houses, gardens and National Trust properties are open to the public in the Devon and Dorset area. We are happy to arrange transport and packed lunches should you wish to enjoy a ‘day away’.
Have you visited Alexandra Hotel & Restaurant?Tell us your thoughts.
- 19 Twin/doubles
- 2 Singles
- 3 Family rooms for 4
- 1 Apartment for 6
Pound Street, Lyme Regis, DT7 3HZ, Dorset