The Beckford Arms
Fonthill Gifford, Tisbury, Salisbury, SP3 6PX,
England, United Kingdom
A country-house inn on the Fonthill estate – you sweep in under the Triumphal Arch. Outside, a pretty half-acre garden for hammocks in the trees, parasols on the terrace and a church spire soaring beyond. Georgian interiors are no less lovely. There's a drawing room with facing sofas in front of a roaring fire; a restaurant with a wall of glass that opens onto the terrace; a bar with parquet flooring for an excellent local pint. Follow your nose and chance upon the odd chandelier, roaming wisteria and a rather grand mahogany table in the private dining room. Bedrooms are small but perfectly formed with prices to match: white walls, the best linen, sisal matting, super bathrooms. If you want something bigger try the pavilions on the estate; former guests include Byron and Nelson, though we doubt they had it so good (small kitchens, claw-foot baths, chic country style). As for the food, it's lovely stuff, perhaps marrow fritters with lemon mayo, local partridge with bread sauce, chocolate bread and butter pudding. There are film nights most Sundays, the cricket team comes to celebrate.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Have you visited The Beckford Arms?Tell us your thoughts.
- 7 Doubles
- 1 Twin/double
- 2 Pavilions for 2
Special Offer: Enjoy 30% off stays of 2 nights or more! - From 2nd Jan to 31st March 2014 - see www.sawdays.co.uk/hotelsale for details
Fonthill Gifford, Tisbury, Salisbury, SP3 6PX, Wiltshire
The Beckford Arms is also a Special Place to Eat & Drink