North Eggardon Carthouse - Self-catering house in Dorset
England, United Kingdom
In wonderful isolation, you'll want to stay lost in the folds of West Dorset forever. The Carthouse showcases the Crutchleys’ passion for the environment and the incredible workmanship from Victor and their artisan friends. Everything has been recycled or built from wood from their own coppice, the walls are lime-washed, terracotta tiles have been reclaimed and the furniture hand-made. A glance to the south-facing veranda reveals Victor's handywork in carved leaves of sweet chestnut on the pillars. Earth's bounty shines here, and with so much beautiful wood there's no need for fussy adornments on the walls. Rooms stretch to cathedral ceilings and flood with light: bedrooms are huge and have room for extra beds so the happy family hoardes can descend; the double downstairs is perfect for wheelchair users. A Swedish wood-burner and rich coloured sofas invite lazy evenings, and the farmhouse kitchen's Esse range cooker and electric hobs make cooking a joy. You can climb Eggardon Hill behind the farm for views of Lyme Regis and the Jurassic Coast, head to the sea or find treasures in Bridport’s antique market. Walkers, cyclists and twitchers will be in heaven; and there's a studio to play a game or three of table tennis.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Open fire / woodburner
Cooked meals available
Shop within 3 miles
Local points of interest from
Laetitia & Victor Crutchley:
- Eggardon Iron Age Hillfort - stunning walk straight up from the Carthouse to the top (25 mins). You could see deer or a buzzard on your way.
- Jurassic Coast - beautiful beaches 25 minutes by car or 40 minutes by bike. Museums in Lyme Regis, Charmouth, Bridport and Dorchester.
- Famous and most notorious smuggler Isaac Gulliver owned the Eggardon Farm in the late eighteenth century. His family sold it in 1871, a century later.
- Bridport Arts Centre presents stimulating performances and activities. In West Bay, Sladers Yard Gallery shows inspirational Contemporary British Art, Furniture and Crafts. Delicious seafood in the Riverside Restaurant.
- Ideal for walkers, cyclists, bird watchers, kite fliers or day dreamers. Five pubs in three and a half mile radius.
- Order special excellent home-cooked meals at the Carthouse.
Have you visited North Eggardon Carthouse?Tell us your thoughts.
- 1 House for 13
Mid-week & weekend breaks available.
Powerstock, Bridport, Dorset