Our collection of artful hotels, family-run fincas and grand chateaux across the UK and Europe are places where friendly staff, creative design, great food and unforgettable experiences come together.
We visit every hotel looking for those memorable moments. Dropping into the bar overlooking the Douro before dinner, wandering down to breakfast on the terrace with views of the Puglian hills, or coming home from a Lake District hike to the pool and a relaxing massage.
Our most popular boutique hotel holidays
Spend quality time with the family and let the kids burn off energy in the garden, bring the dog and head off on epic hikes in the countryside, enjoy lazy summer days round the pool, and wake slowly before wandering down to breakfast or having it delivered to your room.
Our top boutique hotel destinations
Infinity pools and fine dining in The Lake District, warm evenings on floral terraces in the Dordogne, stylish residences right in the centre of London, and aperitifs on cliff top settings in the Algarve.
- Read our Slow Guide to Northumberland, where we found a train in a bookshop and a 300-yard walk that took three hours
- Follow travel writer Mary Novakovich as she eats, shops and rows her way around hidden Venice
- Take one of our UK micro-adventures, such as the Argyll Coastal Route and the Abergwesyn Pass
- Enjoy voyages of discovery in one of our “Four places you’ve probably never heard of”
- See what adventurer Lois Pryce got up to on a 2CV tour around south-western France.
- The Alps aren’t just for skiing – the snowy slopes give way to high summer meadows bursting with life and colour. See our Alpine hotels
- Between the riviera and the western wine region are the hills and rivers of a gentler, more remote France. See our central French hotels
- In the foothills of Spain’s Pyrennees lie the Sierra y Cañones de Guara and Ordesa y Monte Perdido Natural parks, along with a couple of stunning hillside hotels
- East Anglia’s striking coastline and thriving food scene are starting to shake its tag of being England’s most underrated region. See our Norfolk and Suffolk hotels.
This is a post summarising our top five boutique hotels on the site, places where the staff are one big family and make you feel part of it, as well as friendly communal spaces, colourful lounges and gorgeous bedrooms.
When you think of France, you often think of grand chateaux, such as the ones we’ve included in this post. A stay in a chateau can be surprisingly affordable and will really give you a taste of the country’s history and charm.
Read about how an innovative hotel concept, known as Albergo Diffuso, has helped to revive Italy’s struggling small villages. Alastair Sawday met with many of the people heading up this movement when he visited recently, and gives us his take on what a wonderful experience it can be.
Our favourite boutique hotel collections
Relax in fresh coastal air and watch the sea from the window, explore cities from historic Edinburgh to the blue waters of Palermo, treat yourself to an indulgent and lavish weekend away, or check in for the restorative break you’ve been craving.