George and Dragon
Clifton, Penrith, CA10 2ER,
England, United Kingdom
Charles Lowther has found a chef who does justice to the slow-grow breeds of beef, pork and lamb produced on the Lowther Estate – and lovely wines to match, 16 by the glass. Ales and cheeses are local, berries and mushrooms are foraged, vegetables are home-grown... and his signature starter, twice-baked cheese soufflé with a hint of spinach, is divine. As for the long low coaching inn, it's been beautifully restored by craftsmen using wood, slate and stone, and painted in colours in tune with the period. Bare wooden tables, comfy sofas, intimate alcoves and crackling fires make this a delightful place to dine and unwind; old prints and archive images tell stories of the ancient estate's history. Outside is plenty of seating and a lawned play area beneath fruit trees.
- Wheelchair access
- Wheelchair access to some public rooms and to wc's.
- Children welcome
- Children of all ages welcome in some public rooms (highchairs not necessarily available).
- Wireless internet access available in the bar.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Vegetarian meals
- Good vegetarian options on the menu.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
Have you visited George and Dragon?Tell us your thoughts.
Lunch from £7.95. Dinner from £11.95.
Open all day.
Clifton, Penrith, CA10 2ER, Cumbria
George and Dragon is also a Special Place to Stay
- 12 Twin/doubles
Price from £95