George and Dragon
Clifton, Penrith, CA10 2ER,
England, United Kingdom
A cool little inn with lots of style, friendly staff, fabulous food and a happy vibe. It sits on the northern border of the Lake District with the High Pennines waiting above, a great base if you want to explore some blistering country. Inside, you'll find stone floors, colourful art and leather armchairs in front of a roaring fire, a good spot to recover after a day in the hills. There's an airy bar for a pint of Hawkshead, then an attractive restaurant for some very good food. Berries and mushrooms are foraged, vegetables are home-grown. As for the meat, Charles rears slow-grow breeds of beef, pork and lamb on the Lowther estate nearby, so come for local food that punches above its weight, perhaps twice-baked cheese soufflé (the inn's signature dish), roast pheasant with chestnuts, Askham apple and cinnamon sponge. Heaven.
- Wheelchair access
- Wheelchair access to some public rooms and to wc's.
- Children welcome
- Children of all ages welcome in some public rooms (highchairs not necessarily available).
- Wireless internet access available in the bar.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Vegetarian meals
- Good vegetarian options on the menu.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
Have you visited George and Dragon?Tell us your thoughts.