South Stainmore, Kirkby Stephen, CA17 4DE,
England, United Kingdom
Simon and Wendy's folly castle may look rather grand, but inside you find a wonderfully informal world – no uniforms, no rules, just a place to kick off your shoes and relax. Follow your nose and find sofas in front of the fire in the hall, a grand piano in the music room, an honesty bar that opens onto a terrace. Fancy getting married in a castle? They'll do that too...Breakfast is served communally in a vast dining room under a wildly ornate ceiling – local bacon, eggs from resident hens, homemade breads and jams. Elsewhere, panelled walls, roaring fires, art, books and antiques. Bedrooms are deliciously different. Some enormous, one has a wardrobe in the turret, you'll find big bathrooms, bold colours and vintage luggage. Cottage suites have extra space for families. If you decide to bring the children along there's lots for them to do too – dressing up boxes, five acres of gardens with a treehouse and a playground, even a cinema in the old potting shed. The Dales and the Lakes are close for spectacular walking and cycling, but sybarites may just want to stay put.
- Wheelchair access
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible.
- Limited mobility
- At least one bedroom & bathroom accessible without steps.
- Children welcome
- Kids of all ages can stay.
- No smoking
- Smoking not permitted anywhere in the property.
- Credit cards
- Credit or debit card payment accepted.
- English spoken
- Host speaks English, whether perfectly or not.
- Air conditioning
- Some, if not all, bedrooms are air-conditioned.
- Wireless internet access available.
- Pets welcome
- Pets allowed in bedrooms (not on the bed).
- Public transport
- Within 10 miles of a bus/train station.
- Working farm
- Or vineyard.
- Owner has pets
- Animals living on the property.
- Swimming pool
- On the premises.
- Bikes available
- On the premises to hire or borrow.
- Tennis court
- On the premises.
- Vegetarian meals
- Available on request.
- Licensed premises
- Alcohol may be served.
- Cash only
- Credit or debit card payment not accepted.
- Dogs welcome
- Dogs welcome in some public rooms.
- Handpumped ales
- Pub serves four or more handpumped ales.
- Wine list
- Pub serves eight or more wines by the glass.
- Food all day
- Food is served all day long.
- Babies welcome
- Cot may be provided.
Local points of interest from
Simon & Wendy Bennett:
- Augill Castle is in the Eden Valley, one of England's most unspoilt landscapes with one of the World's best trout rivers at its heart.
- Set at the foot of the North Pennines, England's last great wilderness, the castle is mid-way between the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District, Britain's two most popular national parks.
- Augill Castle is unlike anywhere you have ever stayed before. We do not offer just a place to stay but a slice of genuine, quietly groovy, country house living.
- The castle is a mecca for outdoor people. We have the best walking in England from the front door, quiet lanes and rugged terrain to suit every kind of cyclist, world class grouse moors surround us and the Lake District is the Adventure capital of Britain
- The Sunday Times includes us in its list of the Ultimate 100 British Hotels as the best family hotel in the north of England. We look after the whole family with space to express yourselves and freedom to relax.
Have you visited Augill Castle?Tell us your thoughts.
- 8 Doubles
- 2 Four-posters
- 6 Family rooms for 4
Minimum stay: 2 nights at weekends.
South Stainmore, Kirkby Stephen, CA17 4DE, Cumbria