Dog friendly holidays and special places to stay
Sawday’s inspect all our places and include exactly what added extras your pooch will get, such as treats on the bar, dedicated washing stations or cosy beds made up by the fire.
“I’m sure I’m not the only one who has ended up in a gloomy, pokey, lino-clad room in a place that describes itself as “dog-friendly” but forgets that there are going to be humans staying there too. Thank goodness for the team at Sawday’s and this enticing collection of places to stay that all have something special that makes them stand out. If, like me, you want to bring your dogs along too, you can.” ~ Kate Humble
Get 100 pages of our Dog-Friendly
Breaks in Britain Book for free
Enter your email below and we’ll send you the first 100 pages of our best-selling guide to brilliant places to stay with your dog. You can also sign up for our newsletter, packed with travel inspiration, destination guides and stories from the road.
“…what matters to Sawday’s is character
in the properties, and warmth in their owners.”
Favourite dog-friendly holidays
- We look for places that are special first, dog-friendly as a close second – and we’ve visited every single one. They are full of character and warmth, and your dog will be lovingly welcomed
- They all love having dogs to stay, with many offering more than just a treat on arrival. You’ll find these details in the Booking Information section of each place
- Many of our Owners have dogs themselves, so you can chat to them about the best local walking routes while your best friend makes new pals.
- Do check with the Owner if you’re bringing more than one or two dogs, especially big ones!
- Many of our places have dedicated rooms for those bringing dogs, but some will only allow your dog to sleep downstairs
- All our inns have bar areas that welcome dogs (although some might draw the line at dogs in the dining room)
- In some places owners may have dogs of their own or livestock that they are worried about pets interacting with. It’s always worth a call and a chat if you feel there might be an issue.
Popular dog-friendly destinations
Taking the biscuit
We’ve picked out a few places here that really take the biscuit. The Booking Information section will tell you exactly what each place in our collection does to make your pet feel welcome – anything from an arrival treat to a selection of chew toys.
Dog-friendly holiday FAQs
Can you take dogs on holiday?
Yes, of course. If travelling abroad, you’ll need to look at travel arrangements; the best dog-friendly way to travel is by car, but there will be some stipulations if you need to take a ferry. You’ll also need to make sure that any accommodation you book is dog-friendly, such as one of our dog-friendly places to stay.
Should I take my dog on holiday?
It’s lovely to take your dog on holiday with you, but it will require extra preparation such as making sure your pet is microchipped and that you pack all their essentials (food, lead etc). If you’re travelling abroad, you may also need to visit your local vet for a certificate that proves your dog is fit to travel.
Where can I go on holiday with my dog?
You can go almost anywhere, but locations with lots of space and great nearby walks will make the best dog-friendly holidays. These are our top 8 holiday destinations for you and your dog in the UK: