Dog friendly holidays by Sawday's
Sawday’s inspect all our places and include exactly what added extras your pooch will get, such as treats on the bar, dedicated washing stations or cosy beds made up by the fire.
“I’m sure I’m not the only one who has ended up in a gloomy, pokey, lino-clad room in a place that describes itself as “dog-friendly” but forgets that there are going to be humans staying there too. Thank goodness for the team at Sawday’s and this enticing collection of places to stay that all have something special that makes them stand out. If, like me, you want to bring your dogs along too, you can.” ~ Kate Humble
Places to stay for a pet-friendly holiday
Your dog is invited to stay in many of our special places across the UK and Europe. Browse our collections below and choose from private self-catering cottages, boutique hotels, friendly B&Bs and cosy pubs with rooms, where your dog can sleep over too.
Our favourite dog-friendly holiday collections
For many people, dogs really are part of the family. If being able to take your dog on holiday with you is top of your checklist, then browse our collection of pet-friendly holiday cottages, hotels and pubs below and find the perfect place for you.
Self-catering cottages where both you and your dog are welcome. Some of the places in this collection will provide treats on arrival, others will offer bowls and blankets, and a few will go all out with chewy toys and walking guides.
Many of our guests love taking their dogs on holiday with them to France, and when there’s beautiful spacious chateaux and plenty of countryside for long walks in the sunshine we don’t blame them.
There are few things better than a cosy evening pint and meal at the pub with your dog by your side. Not only can you do this at all our dog-friendly pubs, your dog is also welcome to stay with you in one of their comfy rooms.
Hotels aren’t generally seen as popular places to stay with your dog, but we specifically select hotels that are small and personal so you and your dog will feel at home. Your furry friend might even be treated to a sausage at breakfast!
- We look for places that are special first, dog-friendly as a close second – and we’ve visited every single one. They are full of character and warmth, and your dog will be lovingly welcomed
- All places love having dogs to stay, with many offering more than just a treat on arrival. You’ll find these details in the Booking Information section of each place
- Many of our Owners have dogs themselves, so you can chat to them about the best local walking routes while your best friend makes new pals.
- Do check with the Owner if you’re bringing more than one or two dogs, especially big ones!
- Many of our places have dedicated rooms for those bringing dogs, but some will only allow your dog to sleep downstairs
- All our inns have bar areas that welcome dogs (although some might draw the line at dogs in the dining room)
- In some places owners may have dogs of their own or livestock that they are worried about pets interacting with. It’s always worth a call and a chat if you feel there might be an issue.
Popular dog-friendly destinations
These are the places that our guests love to visit most with their dog. Discover the beaches and coastal walks of Cornwall, the mountainous scenery and pretty villages of Wales, and the extensive walking network of the Yorkshire Dales and Moors national parks.
Taking the biscuit
We’ve picked out a few places here that really take the biscuit when it comes to dog friendly holidays. The Booking Information section will tell you exactly what each place in our collection does to make your pet feel welcome – anything from an arrival treat to a selection of chew toys.
Dog-friendly holiday FAQs
Can you take dogs on holiday?
Yes, of course. If travelling abroad, you’ll need to look at travel arrangements; the best dog-friendly way to travel is by car, but there will be some stipulations if you need to take a ferry. You’ll also need to make sure that any accommodation you book is dog-friendly, such as one of our dog-friendly places to stay.
Should I take my dog on holiday?
It’s lovely to take your dog on holiday with you, but it will require extra preparation such as making sure your pet is micro-microchipped and that you pack all their essentials (food, lead etc). If you’re travelling abroad, you may also need to visit your local vet for a certificate that proves your dog is fit to travel.
Where can I go on holiday with my dog?
You can go almost anywhere, but locations with lots of space and great nearby walks will make the best dog-friendly holidays. These are our top 8 holiday destinations for you and your dog in the UK:
Which beaches allow dogs in the UK?
Dogs are allowed on most beaches in the UK from around October through to March, but during peak season there are restrictions on many beaches, especially in popular destinations like Cornwall, Devon and Dorset. You can find out the best beaches for a dog-friendly holiday here.